Head of Solar and Battery Development
The Head of Solar and Battery Development is accountable for the full spectrum of business development for these two technologies i.e. from project origination (either in-house origination or project acquisition or joint ventures with third parties) throughout project development until Final Investment Decision.
The Head of Solar and Battery Development will be responsible for the strategy of developing these two technologies and will be expected to deliver the most competitive projects using the best use of the available development budget.
The Head of Solar and Battery Development will manage a team of experienced business developers (currently 5 with approval to further growth) with specialist knowledge of batteries, I&C solar and grid solar.
- Define the strategic objectives and business plan for the team
- Be responsible for the overall portfolio of projects within the team
- Produce and manage an annual development budget and contribute towards the production of a rolling 5 year medium term plan.
- Lead the team to evaluate solar and battery business models to identify the types of projects that are viable and then search and secure new development opportunities.
- Lead the team to acquire projects through either customer led qualification processes, greenfield site selection or through acquisition. Prospecting for new customer propositions will be done jointly with the Corporate Power Purchase (cPPA) Manager, who is responsible for cPPAs across all technologies.
- Establish and manage project governance processes for each project involving Shareholders and relevant stakeholders as appropriate, including a monthly steering committee and investment Gate Papers; ensure that projects are managed using a common Project Management system
- Ensure that project managers fully de-risk and prepare projects for the Financial Investment Decision including grid, planning, technology evaluation and business modelling as necessary. Work with the Engineering and Construction team and Asset Management team to prepare projects for construction.
- Ensure that the project managers fully own the projects’ business cases (incl. assumption book and risk register), work with the EDF ER analytics team to determine project economics and returns at various stages of the development cycle
- Ensure that project managers identify project milestones for each project and facilitate the decision making process at each milestone, e.g. feasibility, site selection or pre-qualification, vendor selection, Investment Case Approval etc
- Once FID is achieved, ensure that there is an effective transition from the project development phase to construction
- Represent EDF Renewables UK with external stakeholders to promote EDF ER and EDF ER projects and in particular to champion the merits of solar and battery technology. Work with EDF colleagues engaged in regulation and policy to minimise the impact on EDF Renewable’s business
The successful candidate will ideally have:
- Experience of leading a multi-disciplinary team with budget responsibility.
- A strong understanding of the renewable energy UK regulatory environment and management experience of business development. Prior experience of solar and/or battery development is preferred but not essential.
- Experience of sponsoring multiple projects through the development process to the Financial Investment Decision, including de-risking of the project, project optimisation, supply chain tendering, securing a route to market and development of the investment case. Experience of managing discussions with potential Corporate PPA buyers would be beneficial.
- Experience of managing complex commercial discussions such as negotiations with land owners, project acquisitions and supply chain negotiations.
- Ability to manage change in an evolving environment, identifying how the objectives of the organisation define and impact the development strategy. Be accustomed to a fast‐paced working environment, acting with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines spanning multiple and complex projects.
- Ability to represent the interests of EDF Renewables with senior external stakeholders (government, land owner, suppliers, partners etc)
- Ability to forge relationships across the organisation and with our shareholders at all levels. Ability to deliver and make project or strategy recommendations to executives.
- Experience of having already been a member of an organisation’s leadership team and experience of leading initiatives outside of the candidate’s normal area of work.
- The successful candidate will be an experienced leader of renewable energy development projects who is looking for a more senior leadership position with one of the largest renewable energy developers in the UK.
- This is a new area where a bold vision for EDF Renewables will be required
- The successful candidate will have already led a team of Project Developers, Planners or other Business professionals with demonstrable experience working in a range of business environments (e.g. government policy development, planning, project development, project management, acquisitions, investment case approval), and;