External Affairs Officer
The Renewable Energy Association (REA) was established in 2001 as a not-for-profit trade association, representing British renewable energy producers and promoting the use of renewable energy and clean technology in the UK. The REA helps its members build commercially and environmentally sustainable businesses whilst increasing the contribution of renewable energy to the UK’s electricity, heat, transport and green gas needs.
The REA’s mission is to grow the renewable energy and clean technology economy and bring renewable energy in all its forms into the mainstream. The REA's main objective is to secure the best legislative and regulatory framework for expanding renewable energy production in the UK. The REA undertakes policy development and provides input to government departments, agencies, and regulators often working with NGOs and others.
The REA’s corporate membership consists of around 550 companies, ranging from sole traders to major multi-nationals across a range of renewable technologies and applications. Its wholly-owned subsidiary company Renewable Energy Assurance Limited champions the consumer and manages the Code of Conduct for installers of renewable energy and clean technology into the domestic market.
Key Functions - External Affairs Officer
- To devise, implement and evaluate communications strategies around our work and relevant issues
- To help identify, develop and refine key messages
- To coordinate reactive media enquiries and to help colleagues to deliver timely and effective responses to journalists
- To draft press releases and copy
- To identify and develop target media and policy contacts to raise awareness of our work and expertise
- To monitor opportunities for proactive work and to find platforms for our spokespeople
- To identify and develop social media opportunities to extend our impact and increase engagement
- Oversee production of the REA members’ weekly newsletter
- You will support a proactive programme of engagement with policy makers and influencers – including Ministers, civil servants, MPs and Peers, think tanks, and other trade associations
Attributes, Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in the energy industry desirable
- Press & media experience
- Experience of social media
- A real aptitude for writing
- Confidence and a proactive approach
- Ability to quickly assimilate and simplify complex information for appropriate audiences
- Political sensitivity and eagerness to learn
- A team player, able to work with a wide range of expert colleagues
- Personally strongly committed to the advancement of renewable energy in the UK
You will be managed by the Head of Policy & External Affairs, James Court.
- Please email your CV together with a covering letter to James Court at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications – 22nd November 2017
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.