JOB TITLE: Operational Controller
LOCATION: Whitelee Windfarm
SALARY/RATE AND BENEFITS: £28,500 - £34,200
YOU MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING: Relevant qualification and experience in an electrical or mechanical discipline
IDEALLY YOU ALSO HAVE: Full Driving Licence and transport for travel to work (remote location) and for occasional travel to headquarters contingency site.
COMPANY INFORMATION: Scottish Power UK
Responsibility to monitor, control and co-ordinate activities across the entire ScottishPower Renewables onshore and offshore wind portfolio, currently 38 wind farms and sub stations across the UK with over 1100 wind turbines with a potential generation of 2GW and growing. Ensure business regulatory compliance to the UK grid code and wider regulatory requirements with direct influence on business revenue through efficient response to emerging events including turbine and High Voltage faults both directly and indirectly maximising uptime and minimising lost production through the efficient management of complex technical issues including responsibility for Offshore Transmission Owner (OFTO) asset requirements.
* Dynamic real time decision making which has a direct impact on the production/performance and revenue of all SPR operational assets (currently over 1100 WTG's, 2000MW installed capacity across 38 operational sites, which account for approx 2GWhrs of production with year-on-year increase planned
* Remote fault finding and diagnose of turbine technical faults with key decision making to resolve issues and restore the turbine to operation.
* Fast paced dynamic environment requiring quick thinking under pressure and key decision making to avoid impacts to the business revenue stream through generation impacts.
* Direct responsibility to ensure legislative and regulatory compliance ensuring SPR mitigation against investigation and prosecution which could lead to fines of 10% gross company earnings under REMIT legislation.
* Interaction and control of over 200 contractors working throughout the UK at SPR wind farms on a daily basis ensuring safe working practices followed under UK Health And Safety guidelines.
* Responsibility to liaise directly with High Voltage network operators including National Grid on grid related faults or outage planning ensuring SPR's interests at all times.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
*Renewables Control Room experience, working in a complex dynamic environment requiring key decision making and accountability with the ability to cause impact to business performance and revenue.
* Technical knowledge of wind turbines, with ability to remote fault find and make decisions to create solutions including the ability to interrogate Scada systems controlling the turbines
*In depth turbine technical knowledge as well as a sound knowledge of electro-mechanical generating plant and apparatus.
* Qualification in electrical, mechanical or relevant discipline as well as experience suited to role.
* Sound knowledge and practical experience of working under the Wind Turbine Safety Rules (WTSR) or equivalent Company Safety Rules or equivalent 'rule based' system
* High level of IT knowledge including ability to work with complex Scada systems controlling wind turbines and High Voltage infrastructures
*Strong decision making skills which could impact safety as well as revenue especially out of hours where no support is available.
* Strong communication skills and ability to work through technical issues verbally with key stakeholders such as National Grid
* Ability to adapt quickly to a rapidly changing working environment and demonstrate a positive
approach to change
* Ability to work at height (70 metres) for turbine familiarisation training
* Ability to work continental shift patterns covering both dayshift, nightshift and weekends
* High degree of self motivation with a flexible approach to work
Planning & Organising
* Ability to manage various shift priority requirements through effective planning and organisation skills.
* Organise contractors and staff works to ensure optimal safety at all times.
* Manage and plan outages across our portfolio minimising impact to the business.
* Review short and longer term goals and plan works accordingly.
* Organise daily duties and projects to ensure deadlines set by line manager are achieved
* Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy and minimal supervision
* Ability to multitask challenging emerging events and work dynamically and effectively whilst under pressure
Internal and External Relationships
Special Requirements (not mandatory)
* Ability to work at height and within enclosed spaces for turbine familiarisation training.
*Good level of fitness to enable wind turbine ascents using vertical ladders.to enable wind turbine familiarisation training.
* Continental Shift working covering dayshifts, nightshifts and weekends.
* High level of IT skills including Scada applications.
* Wind Turbine technical knowledge to a suitable level.
* Relevant qualification and experience in an electrical or mechanical discipline.
* Excellent communication skills
* Full Driving Licence and transport for travel to work (remote location) and for occasional travel to headquarters contingency site.
* Self-motivation and willingness to learn
Since 1978, Rullion has been securing exceptional candidates for a range of clients; from large well-known brands, to SMEs and start ups. As a family-owned business, Rullion's approach is credible and honest, focused on building long-lasting relationships with both clients and candidates.
Rullion is a forward-thinking recruitment company that specialises in providing a wide range of talent consultancy services to a diverse client base; from small start-ups to large household names.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.