Manager, Risk Business Partners
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Risk Business Partners – Minerals Australia, the Manager manages the Risk Business Partner team to partner with our Coal Assets and various Group Functions to implement the risk management framework, build a complete and accurate understanding of their risk profiles, manage risks effectively; and assist management to incorporate risk into decision-making.Key responsibilities include leading a local team of Risk Business Partners to:
- Support implementation and execution of the new risk management framework, including setting goals for implementation and integration into business processes.
- Broaden the Asset, Functions or Marketing risk radar by considering material and non-material, strategic, reporting, and compliance risks, in addition to operational risks.
- Deepen the Asset, Functions or Marketing risk radar by considering emerging risks as well as those risks faced today.
- Coach line management on how to successfully apply the risk management process so that there is standard application across BHP.
- Deliver training and build capability in the risk management framework.
- Use the correct technique to govern, support, and lead risk assessments (being identification, analysis, and evaluation) for material risks and monitor the quality of all risk assessments.
- Support line management to maintain an effective control environment with consideration to both efficiency and effectiveness for control design, verification, and testing.
- Use the reporting templates and routines to report on the application of the risk management process (including the risk profile) to Region, Asset, Function, or Marketing.
- Identify local and operational emerging risks and changing regulatory requirements and alert line management for inclusion in the local risk profile.
- Uses fact-based risk insights to drive business strategy, outcomes and performance
- Analyse risk data to assess the effectiveness of the application of the risk management process by Regions, Assets, Functions, and Marketing, and support line management to identify and implement improvements.
- Embed the 3 lines of defense model and ensure effective verification of the risk management process
- Risk management framework successfully implemented and integrated into business processes.
- Completeness and accuracy of the risk profile is regularly reviewed and continuously monitored.
- Regular 2-way dialogue occurs between the ‘first line’ Leadership Team and the risk team to review risk performance, and proactively plan for upcoming risk work based on changing operational activities and events.
- Risk Business Partners demonstrate the capability to effectively fulfil their accountabilities
- Risk management is included in decision-making.
To be successful in the role, you will be tertiary educated with experience in leadership roles with demonstrable experience in risk management (directly or indirectly). Most importantly, you will be a great influencer with proven experience in senior leadership engagement.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.