Operations Manager - Energy Recovery Facility (ERF)
At Viridor, we’re one of the UK’s leading recycling, renewable energy and waste management companies and part of the FTSE 250 Pennon Group. We put waste into action, transforming it into high quality recyclables, raw materials and energy and are at the forefront of the UK’s green economy. We’re undergoing rapid change and development which provides opportunities for those who are seeking a role to make their mark and drive forward a best in class performance.
Fast growing and investing over £1.2bn in the development of a network of state of the art Energy Recovery Facilities across the UK, we’re already established as the second largest operator in the UK and looking to become the largest. The ERFs reduce the reliance on landfill or exporting waste for treatment whilst being key to our revenue generation.
Our Avonmouth ERF is currently undergoing construction and will require an experienced operations professional to lead and develop our team and facility through this challenging period ensuring no compromise is made with regard to health, safety and environmental compliance at all times
As our Operations Manager you will ensure full environmental permit compliance is achieved at all times whilst managing the day to day operation of the facility. You will meet and optimise operational KPIs including availability, throughput, electrical export and usage of consumables to ensure best in class performance is achieved, including achieving financial and budget targets.
Initially you will be responsible for creating the systems, applying Viridor processes and recruiting a world class team to prepare the site to commence commissioning, as well as undertaking initial safety and operating assessments in conjunction with the major projects group who are delivering the facility. You will be responsible for developing and training your team to embody your no compromise standards of safety, quality and performance to deliver a class leading facility.
Implementing and delivering the continuous improvement culture will be at the heart of what you do to maximise safety, compliance and productivity; minimise downtime and interruption to generation. Working with the Head of Operations you will produce Avonmouth ERF’s Business Plan that complies with company strategy and develops the Region’s business.
Our ideal Operations Manager will ideally have:
- Experience of operating an energy from waste facility or power stations would be advantageous and preferred
- A strong no compromise approach to health and safety and environmental compliance
- Experience of operating highly regulated and compliance focused facilities and operating in a compliance focused environment (ideally under Environmental Agency permitting regime)
- Relevant electro-mechanical/power engineering qualifications / experience
- Strong leadership skills to lead and develop a new operating team in a start-up scenario, with an ability to mentor and coach their team effectively.
- Experience of commissioning new plants and introducing and developing new procedures and SOPs highly desirable.
- Financial and budgetary responsibility in previous roles
- Extensive and proven knowledge of the waste/power industry highly desirable including legislative knowledge.
- Full driving license
At Viridor, we offer a competitive salary as well as excellent benefits including our pension scheme, healthcare, free eye test and safety eyewear where required alongside a number of flexible benefits.
This is an exciting opportunity in our fast-growing business to join, develop and drive forward this state of the art brand new facility and help Viridor become the market leader.
The successful candidate should be available to start in role in July 2018.