Electrical Design Engineer
Responsible for producing electrical engineering designs on NAMP and Connection projects. These designs will be developed from scopes provided by CPP Delivery team, Asset Management or Connections. They will include project costings to customer requirements for time, quality and budget.
The designer will liaise with the Project Manager, internal and external designers and all others involved in the design process, ensuring full compliance with Statutory regulations and relevant UKPN standards for designs for all customers.
- Production of Electrical Designs that can be constructed in compliance with standards and CDM requirements
- Produce effective designs, which conform to all relevant Codes of Practice and company and industry standards (for all designs relevant to SPN/LPN Sub-stations), in conjunction with Civil Design.
- Oversee and contribute to the production of technical, commercial and contractual documents for procurement of engineering products
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation, regulations and company procedures.
- Compliance with design assurance and audit processes
- Supporting and mentoring other members of the team to enhance their technical knowledge and experience.
- Preparation of tenders and quotations, from specifications and drawings within defined periods.
- Provide an excellent service to the customer.
- Work as a Team Player in a dedicated team of Designers and Estimators
- Liaise with the operational teams to ensure a smooth process from initial enquiry through to final connection and business closure.
- Complying with the requirements of the designer as determined by the CDM Regulations (as amended in April 2007)
- Ensure design eliminates any hazards which may give rise to risks; and reduce risks from any remaining hazards (in conjunction with CDM)
- Ensure designs provide sufficient information about aspects of the design of the structure or its construction or maintenance as will adequately assist clients, the CDM team, other designers and contractors
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- A strong electrical engineering background and experience in electrical engineering. Knowledge of power system and protection design at 132KV, 33KV, 11KV, and intermediate voltages, with at least 5 years experience.
- Competence in resolving a significant range of technical power engineering issues and in providing technical advice; a sound understanding of company standards and policies and their application to this role. Awareness of current and technological developments in distribution plant and equipment.
- Ability to work with external engineering organisations and customers/stakeholders representing UKPN to best effect.
- A good safety culture and sound understanding of Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations and their application in this role.
- Ability to work unsupervised, set and comply with own targets, and identify and implement innovative cost saving solutions.
- Good team working skills
- A good level of business, environmental, safety, financial, and regulatory awareness;
- A general appreciation of financial reporting systems;
- Knowledge of the ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 procedures relevant to the team's activities;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft desktop applications, in particular: Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint;
- Proficient in the use of AutoCAD and or Micro station
- Strong interpersonal skills, and be competent in written and oral communications.
- Qualified to a Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer Status (via HNC/HND or degree in electrical engineering) with proven relevant experience. Member of relevant professional body
- Broad knowledge of cables and overhead lines
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.