Drilling Mechanics Research Engineer - The Woodlands, TX.
The Woodlands, TX 77380
Full Time Regular
ABOUT THIS JOB
Baker Hughes Incorporated has an opening for a Drilling Mechanics Research Engineer in The Woodlands, TX. As a leader in the oilfield services industry, Baker Hughes offers opportunities for qualified people who want to grow in our high performance organization. Our leading technologies and our ability to apply them safely and effectively create value for our customers and our shareholders. Baker Hughes is an Equal Employment Affirmative Action Employer.
Baker Hughes Technology Group is seeking an experienced Research Engineer with strong Mechanical Engineering background to advance science of drilling through analysis, modelling, lab testing, design, and development of novel technologies to improve Drill Bit performance.
- The Research Engineer will focus on drilling mechanics for the Drill Bits product line
- Lead and support projects working closely with product development, lab services, engineering, and field operations to identify and study problems, advance fundamental knowledge, and develop new drill bit technologies
- Apply scientific approach to identify and investigate challenging drilling mechanics and system dynamics problems
- Brainstorm and develop innovative solutions that bring value to our business and to our customers
- Conceptualize, design, build, and test prototypes of novel drill bit technologies
- Coordinate with testing services group to design and conduct tests on industry leading facilities for developing fundamental understanding or validating solutions
- Apply appropriate predictive modeling tools and data analysis techniques to solve problems and make sound recommendations
- Assist in project planning and review
- Identify and follow leads to create a case to move forward with the research for improvement of the products
- Assignments are broad in nature, requiring originality and ingenuity
- Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related disciplines with a focus on engineering mechanics, systems design, and systems modeling
- 5 years of mechanical systems research and development experience
- 2 years of hands-on experience building prototypes involving actuators, hydraulics, and seals
- 1 years of experience developing CAD models of prototype mechanical assemblies involving moderate complexity using solid modeling tools such as NX
- Experience testing prototypes in the laboratory and the field
- Ability to perform modeling and simulation of multibody systems with commercial tools such as Matlab/Simulink or SimulationX
- Experience using data analysis and interpretation techniques
- Strong desire to develop innovative solutions from concept to full scale testing
- Passion to develop fundamental understanding of physical problems
- Strong drive to take on challenges with or without direction
- Ability to build peer relationships as well as work independently
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Problem-solving skills with a drive for results
- Must be action oriented, ethical in value, and have a strong customer focus
- 2 years of downhole tool design experience preferred.
- Drilling mechanics experience preferred
- Knowledge of oil and gas drilling, formation evaluation, and geomechanics is a plus
- Familiarity with smart materials and structures is a plus
- Successful candidate will be authorized to work in the US.
Baker Hughes is a leading supplier of oilfield services, products, technology and systems to the worldwide oil and natural gas industry. By being the service company that best anticipates, understands and exceeds our customers' expectations, Baker Hughes Advances Reservoir Performance. The company's 39,000-plus employees work in more than 80 countries in geomarket teams that help customers find, evaluate, drill, produce, transport and process hydrocarbon resources. Baker Hughes' technology centers in the world's leading energy markets are pushing the boundaries to overcome progressively more complex challenges. Baker Hughes develops solutions designed to help manage operating expenses, maximize reserve recovery and boost overall return on investment through the entire life cycle of an oil or gas asset. Collaboration is the foundation upon which Baker Hughes builds our business and develops next-generation products and services for drilling and evaluation, completions and production and fluids and chemicals. For more information on Baker Hughes' century-long history, visit our website.
Baker Hughes is an Equal Employment Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, race, national origin, ethnic origin, color, disability status, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation or any other protection guaranteed by local law.
If you are applying to a position in the US and you are an individual with disability or a disabled veteran status, religion, sexual orientation or any other protection guaranteed by local lawran and would like any type of assistance to submit an application or to attend any recruitment or selection event, we would like to help you to ensure that your experience is as smooth as possible. If you need assistance, information, or answers to your questions, feel free to contact us or have any of your representatives contact us at Baker Hughes Application Assistance Toll Free at 1-866-324-4562.This method of contact has been put in place ONLY to be used by those internal and external applicants who have a disability and are requesting accommodation.
For all other inquiries on your application, log in to your profile and click on the My Jobpage tab. General application status inquiries will not be handled by the call center.