EDF Energy is a core part of the EDF Group, one of the largest energy companies in Europe with key business operations in the UK, France, Italy, Belgium and Poland. EDF are now looking to recruit a construction Superintendent to join the HPC project. The Construction Superintendent will be deemed an expert in his / her field and manage a team of Inspectors (deemed as Practitioner) to take responsibility for activities in the field relating to Construction Surveillance and it's on site facilitation.
Hinkley Point C is a nuclear site, based in West Somerset, 15 miles from Bridgwater. The NNB ambition is to build two major EPR nuclear plants, and the position will be part of HPC site construction team.
Because of the scale of this project, the programme duration and the immovable completion date, the Senior Inspector must have proven experience in delivering large and complex projects under similar constraints.
The team managed by this post will be in excess of 10 persons. The scope will cover all works associated with the construction of the designated section of the Project
This post will supervise the activity of the Works Contractors and Interfaces between them, as well as the interfaces between adjoining sections of the projec
The Construction Superintendent will report to the NEC Supervisor for day to day guidance and to the Programme Client team via the Construction Lead. The team he / she leads will input into site wide management issues and a high level of interaction and coordination with other operational members of the site wide team will be required. In addition to reporting and liaising accountabilities the Construction Superintendent will be required to adhere to (and suggest enhancements and improvements to) company policies, procedures and protocols for construction , procurement, health & safety and other functions. The Construction Superintendent will require that his / her team;
- Check the Works are constructed in accordance with the contract and notifying the Senior Construction Delivery Manager and NEC Supervisor of defects before completion
- Submit details to the NEC Supervisor so that a Defects Certificate can be issued by the Project Manager
- Advise the Client's delivery team on quality, safety, environmental, resource and progress issues
- Proactively communicate with other site teams and to maintain good communication links, and ensure activity is well and timely reported.
- Contribute information on specific areas to weekly and monthly reports, as well as issuing and maintaining performance and KPI indicators.
- Support team instructions to take temporary measures to mitigate and keep works safe and within Quality standards. Follow up by taking appropriate and proportionate action (e.g. issue communications, call meetings) to avoid the halt of works.
- Develop the team with a good perspective of current and future site activities
- Ensure that the tasks are developed to programme and quality in accordance with the company's requirement for health, safety and environment.
- Provide information to assist in the management of strategic planning of the site set up, construction sequencing, recovery plans and resource allocation
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the construction activities and their adherence to the schedule
- Review Contractor performance against the authorised ITP
- Ability to make autonomous decisions and operate with minimal supervision
- Provide leadership by personal example
- Be an exemplar for our values and core disciplines
The Construction Superintendent will have broad knowledge of construction techniques with high technical expertise across their specific types of construction and forms of contract. Specifically he / she will have good working knowledge of the NEC ECC and FIDIC contracts. He / she will possess management skills and commercial awareness and have solid experience in the role on a variety of Major Projects.
- Excellent organisation, delegation and communication skills
- Ability to work within a high performing team that continuously outperforms expectations and objectives
- Proven experience of writing diaries both informative, concise and with relevance to the particular form of contract
- Experience in motivating and energising staff by building a climate of trust and understanding and actively seeking alternative views and opinion's
- Experience in the installation and erection of large Mechanical or Electrical plant
- Extensive previous working experience in the delivery of large complex projects
- General understanding of design obligations under CDM Regulations - along with an understanding of the document and drawing approvals processes.
- Strong communication skills in English required, knowledge of French can be an advantage
- A minimum of HND in Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical Engineering or Construction Management qualification or equivalent vocational training and experience.
There will be requirement to attend and pass the HPC Clerk of Works course as part of our upskilling training programme
By joining EDF Energy you will be part of a company committed to equality. We are proud to be one of only three organisations in the UK to gain the National Equality Standard, the country's most comprehensive assessment of diversity & inclusion. We'll support your career through our state of the art approach to learning, development and knowledge sharing through our Campus network. We offer a defined benefit pension scheme based on career average earnings, in addition to leave and benefits that help you feel good.