Head of Design Authority - UK
NuGeneration Ltd (NuGen) has exclusively assigned Thomas Thor Associates to search for one of the most critical positions in their organisation. On their behalf, we are currently searching for a Head of Design Authority.
NuGen’s Moorside project will be the largest new build nuclear project in the UK, in constructing 3 AP1000 reactors representing 7% of the UK electricity needs. This project is a unique opportunity for the people of West Cumbria and the North of England.
In this challenging environment you will be responsible for the development of the Design Authority organisational capability in the early stages of the Project. Ensuring that our client is in control of the design throughout the Project lifecycle by putting in place the arrangements, processes and capability to provide effective design review and acceptance and to build the design knowledge.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the interface with the Responsible Designer, Westinghouse, regarding the Generic Design Assessment process
- Responsible for activities related to technical approval of Responsible Designer design submissions and other Engineering Procurement Construction deliverables
- Responsible for the formal acceptance of deliverables and confirms that the claims made in the safety case, environmental case and security arrangements are enacted in the plant design and in the as-built plant
- Responsible for design configuration control by maintaining up to date records of all the drawings, specifications, design standards, manuals, engineering calculations, supporting data and theoretical bases for the plant systems, structures and components
- To provide technical lead for Office for Nuclear Regulation Safety case engagement and accountability/responsibility to ensure arrangements and standards comply with regulatory obligations including arrangements made under specific license and permit conditions
- Interface with Responsible Designer(s) and Owners Engineer for the provision of advice on technical issues including Design Changes, Technical Queries and Concessions
- Accountable for performance management of all Design Authority staff, ensuring the Design Authority directorate has the required capabilities, skills and capacity to deliver on its objectives
- Setting the standards and process for Safety Case production;
technical oversight of the production of the Site Specific Safety Case
- Responsible for ensuring that the requisite knowledge and capability to maintain the design integrity and the overall basis for safety of the plant is acquired and accessible throughout the full lifecycle of the project
Qualifications & Experience
- Chartered Engineer, preferably Nuclear Engineering or significant experience
- Experience in nuclear engineering, maintenance and/or projects with profound knowledge of design of Nuclear Power Plant
- Experience in working in/contributing to a nuclear safety culture
- Experience of running complex, large scale projects
- Proven pedigree of delivering results and managing change
- Track record in building and managing high performing teams
- Relevant experience of running a successful design authority function
- Broad experience dealing with nuclear regulators and suppliers
Core skills and competencies
- People management skills and conflict resolution
- Broad multi-disciplinary nuclear engineering knowledge
- Strong nuclear safety engineering and licensing awareness
- Able to use analysis, experience, and logical methods to find the right solutions to difficult problems in a timely and effective manner, commensurate with their Safety significance
- Proven ability in managing the critical interfaces on major construction project
- Strong leadership and proven ability in managing a multidisciplinary team
- Proven ability to build stakeholder relationships and manage complex stakeholder engagement
- Excellent communication, diplomacy, networking and influencing skills
- Good vision of the development of the DA up to commissioning
About Thomas Thor Associates
Thomas Thor Associates is a recruitment and consulting organisation dedicated to the global nuclear industry. Through our local presence in Cumbria we are supporting NuGen by combining local searches with those on a national and international level.
We recruit for roles in nuclear new build, operations, decommissioning, research and waste management and our clients include nuclear regulators, operators, engineering companies and research organisations.
Please forward you CV to NuGen.DesignAuthority@thomas-thor.com or call Julija on +44 203 695 1888 for an initial discussion.