Manager Transmission & Substation Engineering (BGE)
At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 150 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
* SPECIAL POSTING NOTES:
The leader is responsible for managing a diverse set of responsibilities that includes electric substation cyber infrastructure, protection and control system operational technologies. This leader has approximately 12 direct reports that include both engineers and technicians who provide daily support that include but may not be limited to:
• NERC CIP & PRC Compliance Standard ownership, plan development, review, execution, oversight (control), and periodic regulatory agency audit support and reporting
• Field relay and control technician Work Procedures development and review
• Event analysis and corrective maintenance work management support
• PJM Relay Sub-Committee representation
• Preventive Maintenance plan oversight and support with overall budget (PM-P&C) management
• Provision of BGE protection system & voltage control subject matter expertise
• Seasonal Readiness assessment and support (control changes, load transfers, etc.)
• System reliability initiative support (distribution automation sectionalizing, etc.)
• Customer engineering design review & support (new business/other)
• New protection, control and monitoring equipment assessment and specification management
This leader in this role must demonstrate effective communications to facilitate engagement across a wide range of customers that includes both internal (T&D system operations, strategic accounts, NERC compliance oversight, and executive leadership) and external stakeholders such as peer utilities (PHI, PECO, ComEd), Reliability First, PJM, and primary metered customers. Critical to the role is the ability to manage the development and performance of employees within unit, utilizing regular employee engagement to facilitate identification / execution of:
• employee developmental opportunities: technical and personal
• opportunities to improve organizational bench strength
• gap assessment and mitigation
• team building through enhanced engagement and morale
Preferred candidates possess or have experience in one or more of the following areas: professional engineering registration, advanced technical degree or MBA, electric utility T&D protection and control system design/engineering/test, NERC CIP or PRC compliance standards, work and budget management, asset management, and at least three years of people management experience in addition to the minimum Manager - Engineering qualifications.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position is a direct report to the Manager / Director, Transmission & Substation Engineering and is the engineering authority providing engineering services to the T&S Engineering disciplines within the Company, responsible for developing engineering documents.
Lead, manage and provide leadership for the personnel and the activities of the electrical/civil/structural engineers of the T&S Engineering organization within each Company. Ensure compliance and adherence to accepted standard engineering and design practices.
Develop, update, issue design drawings for transmission and substation activities. Provide technical oversight to contracted engineering and design groups to ensure adherence to Exelon Utility engineering standards.
Maintain, create, and update standards and specifications.
Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1 Provide detailed engineering and design in support of ongoing engineering efforts for internal and external organizations. Provides field technical support in the area of electric substation relay (testing) and/or mechanical systems to develop solutions for corrective and preventive maintenance, equipment replacement and new construction activities. Investigates, analyzes and reports on system operation events and develops corrective measures in coordination with T&S maintenance.
2 Drives and oversees the development and implementation of short and long term strategic and tactical business and labor initiatives designed to assure the highest levels of customer services and to achieve Exelon's safety, reliability and performance goals.
3 Manages the overall budget. Establishes and monitors business plans and business unit objectives. Balances cost control with appropriate capital and maintenance investments. Perform work prioritization, process adherence, compliance adherence, resource utilization, and assists with the prioritization of CM, PM and PdM tasks.
4 Develop and maintain an environment that fosters a high performance culture and a learning organization. Foster an environment that respects and promotes diversity and inclusion. Serves as a change agent for business initiatives and assures the human element is understood and considered. Assure timely recognition of employee contributions. Develops methods to assess communication effectiveness and implement continuous improvement initiatives.
5 Provide leadership to and development of the D&E team. Provide accurate and timely feedback regarding performance and operations. Conduct performance planning and appraisals. Identify opportunities for growth and learning. Facilitates open and honest communication with staff. Assures that upward communication is integrated into the process, including employee concerns and complaints. Facilitates employee engagement and continuous improvement.
Education - Bachelor's degree and 8 - 10 years design experience, OR in lieu of a bachelor's degree, a minimum of 12 years design experience.
Certifications/Licenses - Valid driver's license
Knowledge - Understanding of transmission and substation components and systems
o Proven leadership ability in a high-performance culture, including coaching and facilitating business competency and performance management skills.
o Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, build consensus, establish trust, and foster culture change.
o Demonstrated ability to develop and implement process enhancements and efficiencies including technology and performance.
o Demonstrated business and utility financial acumen, customer awareness, and ability to create value.
- Education - Advanced degree
- Experience- Previous experience as a T&S designer
- Certifications/Licenses - Professional Engineer's (PE) License
o Systems knowledge including work management and CAD
o Understanding of utility collective bargaining agreements
• Reports to the Manager / Director of Transmission & Substation Engineering and is responsible for a staff of 10-15 direct reports (variation in total directs / mix based on Company requirements)
• Design authority providing design services to the T & S Engineering disciplines within the Company
• Drives development and implementation of short and long term strategic and tactical business initiatives and projects designed to assure the highest levels of customer services, safety, reliability and performance goals
• Responsible for developing design documents and design standards
• Perform detailed engineering and design in support of ongoing projects
• Develop, update, and issue design drawings for new business, capacity expansion, system performance (reliability), obsolescence, and corrective maintenance activities
• Maintain, create, and update standards and specifications
• Develop, update, and issue transmission line routes maps, substation 1-line, and protective relay and communication diagrams
• Provide technical oversight to contracted engineering, internal engineers, and design groups to ensure adherence to both industry and internal standards
• Ensure compliance and adherence to accepted standard engineering and design practices and drawing standards
• Ensure that designs meet the design basis for transmission and substation equipment and systems on the system
• Identify training requirements and ensure they are satisfied
• Responsible for performance measurements and design audits for all engineered plans
• Communicate, execute and supervise the process to ensure all work packages are properly prepared, reviewed, and appropriately scoped prior to construction issuance
• Responsible for the organizations response to emergent activities, catastrophic events and storms.
• Manage actions to affect; positive impact to safety, reliability, and customer satisfaction goals, the transmission revenue stream, the generation revenue stream of Exelon, and public, political, and regulatory opinion
• Operates autonomously with wide latitude for un-reviewed actions and decisions
• Establishes performance goals and expectations, coaches, mentors and provides feedback to direct reports
• Maintains effective internal business controls by conducting audits, self-assessments, investigations and employee reviews on a regular basis
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster