Engineer III - Mechanical
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
Equipment and Machines
Other Essential Functions
- Provide technical engineering direction for the Mechanical Engineering Department to include technical procedure development and operational support.
- Duties may also include technical oversight of new installation, construction activities to validate compliance with contract documents.
- Manage system level metrics (RCM) for performance, efficiency, noise reduction, power consumption, safety, and component/system reliability and obsolescence issues.
- Create and execute component and subsystem design verification/acceptance plans and test methods to validate performance to requirements.
- Depending on the project type, this can vary from conceptual design to revisions to existing designs and modifications to existing structures or Ground Support Equipment (GSE).
- Conduct system testing/validation, troubleshooting/investigating equipment failures and interpret analysis data/technical drawings/schematics to resolve anomalies and provide written corrective action.
- Serve as technical interface with component suppliers in assisting design development and logistics personnel.
- Generate and coordinate maintenance, special testing procedures required to maintain equipment and systems in the prescribed condition.
- Support system and vehicle architecture team meetings.
- Responsible for planning, cost development, management, and scheduling for assigned projects.
- Must have ability to successfully interface with client representatives and manage completion of tasks on schedule and within budget to the customer's satisfaction.
- Work shall assure that facilities operate in a safe and appropriate manner and comply with all federal, state and local codes/regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience with mechanical systems design, development and mechanical & electrical troubleshooting/analysis is required.
- Knowledge of Pressure Vessel System (PVS) design requirements is required.
- Experience with high pressure fluid system components (valves, reliefs, checks, filters, pipe and tubing, etc.) is required.
- Excellent writing, communication, presentation and customer interface skills required.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Must be able to coordinate work between multiple project disciplines.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects without missing deadlines or sacrificing accuracy.
- Experience with ProE modeling and drafting within Windchill is highly desirable.
- Must be self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, and be able to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- May be required to provide guidance to less experienced engineers.
- Ability to perform root cause failure analysis to component level.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all "drug free workplace" requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.