Senior O&M Engineer – SCADA
Senior O&M Engineer – SCADA
ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world’s largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in wind energy. ScottishPower is the first integrated energy company in the UK to generate 100% green electricity. Our focus is on wind energy, smart grids and driving the change to a cleaner, electric future and we’re investing over £4m every working day to make this happen. We’re committed to speeding up the transition to cleaner electric transport, improving air quality and over time, driving down bills.
ScottishPower Renewables is at the forefront of the development of the renewables industry through pioneering ideas, forward thinking and outstanding innovation. Our ambitious growth plans include offshore windfarms in East Anglia with our team leading the Group’s international offshore development. With over 40 operational windfarms, we manage all of our sites through our world leading Control Centre at Whitelee Windfarm., near Glasgow.
At ScottishPower Renewables, we know people are central to building a better future, quicker and we are seeking new talent to join our team.
The Senior O&M (SCADA) Engineer is a critical role belonging to our Asset Integrity Management Department Team, reporting to a Lead O&M Engineer or the Department Manager. The Senior O&M (SCADA) Engineer will be responsible for defining O&M Strategies and plans, tendering, negotiating and being technical lead for small-scale offshore O&M campaigns/installations including management of contractors and associated interfaces, and ensuring quality, best practices and excellent H&SE performance are applied.
- Technical/engineering lead of small-scale offshore O&M campaigns/installations with a number of interfaces and coordination to manage within one or more of Iberdrola’s offshore projects worldwide
- Providing O&M engineering support, assistance and recommendations to ensure delivery of mid to large scale O&M works within time, to budget and quality following industry best practice and observing the maximum respect for Health, Safety and the Environment to ensure regulatory and legal compliance.
- Implement offshore standards, procedures, tools, best practices and quality requirements.
- Evaluate O&M solutions / risk levels affecting technical integrity or asset performance and give mitigation recommendations to the Lead O&M Engineers or Department Manager of either AIM or the Sites or the Readiness teams, to ensure that cost effective O&M solutions are identified, fully evaluated and the risk profile can be reduced appropriately by the O&M teams.
- Ensure that all assessment, advice and recommendations are fully documented in accordance with all internal procedures and industry best practice, and that sufficient technical and commercial due diligence (whether internal or external) exists to support those business decisions.
- Evaluate the best course of action for technical interventions and present the case for it to internal leads and Managers or external contractors based on the analysed asset integrity status, Electricity production and other KPIs
- Provide key and strategic advice, assessment and recommendations to the business giving input and support to the projects throughout the whole life cycle (development to decommissioning)
- Provide input on appropriate bid levels / commercial strategies and commercial agreements relative to projects. Provide key input in the preparation of investment dossiers for all funding requests for projects.
Skills & Requirements
We are looking for someone with good knowledge and industry experience in WTG SCADA, OSS SCADA and the overall protection and communication systems (control systems) of the offshore assets. Additionally, we require someone with experience in analysing failures and test reports and defining maintenance scope of works.
‘To be successful in a role you will need to demonstrate as minimum’:
- Degree in relevant maths, engineering or Physical Science discipline
- Experience of design, programming, commissioning and interrogating of programmable logic controllers (PLC) or Distributed Control Systems (DCS)
- Experience of electrical substation control, protection and monitoring systems
- Experience developing or commissioning SCADA, control & monitoring systems
- Experience of fault finding control, networks and SCADA type systems.
- Ability to understand single line diagrams and network drawings
- Proficient in navigating and updating large multi interface signal lists.
- Experience and can demonstrate an understanding of standard communication protocols (e.g. Modbus, IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5-104 etc.)
- Ability to think logically and be able to assess the risk of carrying out any fault finding, maintenance or upgrades to any SCADA, control or network system.
- Ability to define priorities of key tasks given their risk and impact on production
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS Office systems and other IT based project management software.
- Flexible to travel around Europe, Travel regularly to attend meetings and work at different project sites in a number of countries though northern Europe, particularly Germany, France, Denmark, Spain and England.
- Demonstrable problem solving skills – dealing with conflicting requirements
- Tenacity, persistence and determination to succeed in overcoming obstacles
What We Offer:
This is a Permanent contract. Salary for this role will be from £48080 (10% uplift if London based) per annum. Other benefits for this role include a performance related bonus of up to 15% and single cover health care.
As part of our commitment to a supportive and inclusive place to work, we recognise that our employees have different personal circumstances and want a suitable work-life balance. We are working hard to support flexible and alternative ways of working where possible including: Flexible Working, Shared Parental Leave, Career Breaks, Wellbeing / Employee Assistance Programme. You will also have access to our flexible benefits programme where you can decide what is important for you.
‘Happy to talk flexible working’
- Location: Glasgow or London
- Selection Process: Competency based interview