Head of Well Engineering
Paragon GE is looking for a Head of Well Engineering for a contract position with an Oil and Gas Operator in Gabon. The position is office based in Port Gentil and is on a 5x5 rotation. The ideal candidate will have experience in planning, designing and well delivery in Sub-saharan locations, the ability to speak French is ideal but not a requirement. Must have a valid IWCF Certification Supervisor Level.
Position Title: Head of Well Engineering
Residential or Rotational: 5x5 Rotation
Staff or Temp: Contract- 12 month (renewable)
Expected day rate- 1000 Euros per day
Location: Port Gentil, Gabon
The Head of Well Engineering is accountable for the overall planning and operational Engineering of the associated well activities, in line with the requirements of the Well Delivery Process and in accordance with the contracts, policies & procedures and Wells Manuals.
- Provide steer/direction/coaching to a team of Fluids Superintendents, Fluids Engineers and Well Engineers directly under his supervision.
- Support the execution for a Well budget of ca US$ 150m per annum, around 20 Well drilling activities per year
- Manage a portfolio of Service Contracts with the support of the engineering and operational teams
- Act as Deputy Drilling Manager when required
Operational Interface with all Gabon departments [Subsurface, logistics, projects, contracts and procurement] Drilling Contractor and 3rd Party Contractors.
- Ensures compliance with Gabon policies and Ethics.
- Ensures compliance with Life Saving Rules & Golden Rules in order to achieve “Goal Zero”
- Drives and supports the implementation of the Think Process Safety 10 critical elements into day to day business.
- Provides input to the Wells HSE Plan and Wells Assurance Plan.
- Identifies requirement and implements MOC's with the approval levels as appropriate.
- Actively sources and shares relevant internal/external HSE Alerts through Wells HSE Lead.
- Provides support for Wells HSE Lead for initiative development, rollout, implementation & feedback.
- Drives closure of SAQ action items, Focus incident action items, Rig Specific HSE Plan status, etc
- Ensures Drilling Program is being adhered to and operations carried accordingly to Wells deliveries and HSE Policies.
- Maintains HSSE Critical Competency records up to date.
Planning, Design & Execution
- Ensures the budgets, basis of design, drilling programs are mature, discussed, reviewed and delivered on time for the safe execution of the Drilling Campaigns.
- Attends Asset Team meetings as required to disseminate information, provide operational input/steer/direction.
- Provides 24/7 Operational support and steer rig team to ensure well execution as per program requirements.
- Provides 24/7 Operational support and steer to rig team to ensure optimal recovery from unplanned events, within the boundaries of standards and requirements.
Business Support & Management
- Provides immediate feedback to relevant assigned contract representatives regarding any subcontractor operational or HSE performance related issues.
- Participates in the improvement and review of Contracts and Service Companies performances
- Participates in the Equipment plans follow up together with the Operational team and Procurement
- Manages the various contractors & ensures close-out of action items as per target dates.
- Leads NPT reviews and HSE incident investigations with the support of the Engineering team. Leads and participates as required.
- Provides and shares specific feedback with other departments.
- Addresses and closes out Well Delivery Performance actions assigned to the Drilling Department, Improvement Plan and other departmental action trackers - within allocated target date.
- Ensures external focus on opportunities for improvements of operations
- Accountable for the management and implementation of the Generic Drilling.
- Always maintains a positive attitude , puts rational objectives and targets to the Engineering team
- Leads a team of Fluid and Drilling Engineers in order to develop their skills and experience.
- Provides guidance and mentoring support for the Technical development of Wells and Field Engineers
- Workflow with Front End Design Work and Operational support
- Fast Paced Well Delivery
- Interface with multiple Departments
- Ownership of the Think Process Safety 10 critical elements into day-to-day business.
Qualifications & Experience
- University graduate in Engineering or Physical Science.
- Minimum 15 years relevant Drilling Engineering experience.
- Minimum 5 years relevant field based experience.
- Agree and follow Individual Development Plan (IDP)
Additional training & habilitations required
- Valid IWCF Certification Supervisor Level.
- HSSE Critical Leader Competency Assessment.
- Good inter-personal and team building skills.