Safety Case Engineer
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors. Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan. Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies. What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood is currently recruiting a Safety Case Engineer with extensive experience of working in the nuclear industry, and who is working towards, or holds EDF Energy AV2 status. Due to the ongoing growth of the business, this is an exciting opportunity for someone with a scientific or engineering background to join our growing team based in our Knutsford office. Working within our team, you will form a key part of our dynamic safety services community supporting a wide range of exciting projects and clients across the nuclear industry, in new build, in generating reactors and also with possibilities to support decommissioning, defence and on fusion reactor work. There will be the opportunity to provide mentoring to junior authors supporting their transition from pure technical work to technical safety work and safety case production.
As part of the Wood Technical Safety community we will provide you with access to a wide ranging community of technical safety practitioners providing a platform for learning within the discipline.
Skills / Qualifications Requirements
- Sound technical background with a minimum of a 2:1 in a suitable scientific or engineering degree and demonstrable experience in a similar role or related field
- Demonstrable communication skills with stakeholders both internally and externally
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, and present complex arguments in a well-structured manner, suitable for a varied audience
- Ability to think innovatively and solve complex problems
- You will act with integrity and possess a conscientious approach
- You will be self-motivated, with an ability and desire to work collaboratively with other teams and/or organisations to create new opportunities
- Experience of production of safety cases within the nuclear industry
- Awareness and strong understanding of the purpose of Safety Cases in the Nuclear industry and willing to learn more
- Knowledge/experience of operating in an environment with a graded approach to quality processes
- Experience working on EDF Energy Safety Documentation, holding or progressing towards EDF Energy AV2 status
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance - We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave
- International opportunities - As a 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 countries you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.