PowerShift Senior Commercial Operations Analyst
The PowerShift Commercial Operations Senior Analyst will be responsible for implementating and enacting the end to end business and operational processes and procedures required to operate commercial flexibility offerings to support the PowerShift commercial strategy and sales pipeline for a £2bn/year UK inustry.
PowerShift is a new business area within EDF Energy Customers which is creating a new capability, product suite and online platform that allows EDF Energy Supply and Distributed Generation customers and counterparties to monetise short-term flexibility value in the GB market as a complimentary product to core business retail energy supply and energy services business lines. PowerShift will be unique in the industry providing the ability for these customers to access to eleven Flexibility markets Recognising the evolution of the capability, operating model and organisation, and agile nature of our customer and market needs it is recognised that the content and nature of this role and the activities required to be performed may change over time.
EDF Energy is an inclusive employer, and although these roles are advertised on a full time basis as standard, flexible working arrangements will be reviewed and considered in line with our flexible working policy.
Nature and Scope
The Customers business has an annual turnover of c£6.3bn with an Operating expenditure of c£584m, Capex investment of c£56m, Gross margin of c£698m and EBITDA of c£72m. Customers operate with c£6000 employees, recognise partners with a range of Trade Unions and is located across multiple UK locations. Employee mix includes contact centre, sales, product development, marketing and commercial. Outsourcing arrangements in the UK and overseas form part of the operating capability and capacity. Customers serve over 200,000 business customers and are the largest supplier of electricity to business customers in Britain. Customers also supplies energy and energy services to over 5.3m residential customer accounts across the UK.
Immediate challenges include the need to reduce operations costs, meeting the mandate deployment of Smart Metering, responding to the market changes that will be associated to the Competition and Markets Authority review.
- Accountable for the commercial operation of Flexibility products in line with the PowerShift and external market priorities to support Portfolio revenue of c. £200m / year
- Work closely with the PowerShift Programme team to develop operating model and functional impact assessment for commercial operation of the product suite
- Deliver the PowerShift commercial operations strategy and roadmap and develop and implement the required capabilities to service the flexibility commercial and product strategy.
- Be an active part of a commercially aware team responsible for end-to-end operation of flexible assets and real time monitoring/reporting on the flexibility portfolio, liasing with internal traders, 3rd parties and external partners as required.
- Responsible for gaining understanding and maintaining awareness of all market changes to ensure that EDF Energy remains compliant with industry regulations at all times.
- Own and manage all commercial operations processes, ensuring:
- all relevant business risks including legal, regulatry and policy compliance are identified, assessed, recorded and managed through appropriate internal controls
- a regular review f process and controls results in the identification and implementation of improvements to quality, speed, risk mitigation and control
- all incidents are raised and learnings embedded. Regularly review prcesses for potential improvements
- Develop and maintain strong cross functional working relationships with PowerShift programme development team, IT Settlements, Finance, Sales & Marketing, WMO and Customer Operations.
- Manage the operation of any interim grey IT processes/tools which support the commercial contract structures of new flexibility offerings across DSR, batteries and Export including the testing of such processes/tools.
- Proactive process improvement and tool development to aid analysis and ensure efficient, robust asset position management.
- Define and establish a reporting and anlaytics capability to value the products and flexibility portfolio is delivering to EDF Energy and use this insight to influence the development of future Flexibility products.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
- Educated to degree level, preferably in a Commercial, Finance, Engineering or related discipline
- Excellent understanding of the UK Energy market, including the ability to understand and interpret regulatory and policy issues, especially in relation to wholesale markets and balancing services arrangements to ensure that EDF Energy remains compliant with industry regulations at all times.
- Analytical, highly numerate, results orientated with a high degree of commercial acumen.
- Strong customer focus and understanding of changing business & financial environments
- Understanding of risk management techniques and measures, with the ability to balance operational complexity against the associated risk mitigation.
- Experience of Grid contracts e.g. Ancilliary Services, Capacity Market.
- Ability to understand complex commercial/legal contract structures and define/implement the business processes to service these
- An excellent track record of leading projects, delivering successful business improvement and/or change initiatives
- Able to work autonomously within a pressured environment, prioritising conflicting requirements from a variety of stakeholders, ensuring expectations are managed.
- Experience of managing operational processes, ensuring robustness and efficiency
- Excellent problem solving skills using both logic and intuition to derive solutions
- Excellent stakeholder management across the entire spectrum; ability to network and build relationships at any level in any organisation and influence decision making
- Highly motivated, self-starter with ablity to work autonomously within a pressured environment, prioritising conflicting requirements from a variety of stakeholders, ensuring expectations are managed.
- Able to deal with ambiguity, ensuring clarity of communication.
- Sufficient technical IT expertise to ensure that the team’s needs are met by the IT community.