Process Safety Engineer
Location: United States (US) - Houston, TX
Job Category: Construction Management; Engineering
Employment Type: Employee Full-time
Relocation Eligibility: This position is eligible for our domestic relocation program
Reporting to the manager of Process Safety and Engineering Governance, the Process Safety Engineer is primarily responsible to support the advancing technical competency of process safety across TransCanada. You will work closely support the Process Safety Lead and the Process Safety & Risk Specialist to support corporate process safety initiatives and project related support (process hazard analysis, consequence analysis and risk calculations, pre-start up safety reviews and car seal).
- Conduct dispersion/consequence analysis and individual/societal risk calculations for facilities;
- Provide expert advice, facilitation and assurance on process hazard analysis including hazard identification (HAZID), what if, hazard and operability review (HAZOP) and layers of protection/safety integrity level analysis;
- Support the governance and ongoing technical management of process safety standards and procedures (process hazard analysis, pre-start up safety review, car seal, consequence analysis and risk calculations);
- Provide training on process safety procedures personnel across the organization on process hazard analysis, pre-start up safety review, car seal, and consequence analysis and risk calculations;
- Provide support for risk and reliability engineering studies;
- Support process safety engineering data analysis, on facility integrity metrics and reporting, and risk assessment;
- Support cultural maturity of process safety across the organization; in developing and implementing process moments;
- Support industry associations committee work on process safety related matters; and
- Review and provide input into regulatory review on process safety related policy and regulations;
- Other tasks as required.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in risk assessment and management;
- Well versed in facility integrity threats and hazards, U.S., Canada and Mexico regulations, and international codes and standards;
- Strong business acumen related to the Company's energy and pipeline businesses;
- Experience working with regulatory agencies and industry associations;
- Technical experience with facility integrity disciplines (e.g. pressure vessels, rotating equipment, etc.);
- Demonstrate strong analytical skills while being able to exercise judgment and make sound decisions;
- Able to apply engineering principles to develop solutions;
- Must be a highly motivated person with good habits and attitudes (punctual, results oriented, shows initiative, time management skills);
- Proficient in Project Management;
- Strategic thinker, highly organized;
- Proven team player with the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams and to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships;
- Excellent presentation, negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal);
- Considered an industry expert in process safety, risk engineering and risk management;
- Substantial network in industry on the topics of risk engineering and process safety and;
- Able to work across large organizations and obtain input into developing strategies.
- Bachelor degree in engineering is required;
- Masters degree or higher in engineering or related discipline is considered an asset;
- Minimum 6 years experience in risk engineering, facility integrity and process safety;
- FS Eng., certification is preferred; and
- Experience in advanced consequence analysis modeling, quantitative risk assessment, process hazard analysis, and pre-start up safety reviews.
*This position will require travel across borders and as such the candidate must be able to provide applicable documentation to this effect.
*Depending on the qualifications of the applicants, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or ladder.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in the country in which the position is based with no restrictions.
All positions require background screening. Some include criminal and/or credit checks in order to comply with regulations.
Please apply to this posting by 03/28/2019. To apply, please visit transcanada.com/careers through your desktop or laptop. Use reference code 57254. Only applications submitted through the TransCanada Careers website will be acknowledged.
TransCanada is an equal opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program supervised by the U.S. Government.
Make what you do matter.
At TransCanada we dream big, think big and do big things. For over 60 years, we've had the vision and scale to deliver big things that matter to the world. From supplying reliable and efficient energy to millions of North Americans with our pipelines, gas storage and power generation facilities, we believe in making big things possible.
TransCanada is looking for people who are willing to think about the future...and think big. We're looking for people who are ready to take on the most significant challenges of their careers and define energy infrastructure in North America.
Thank you for choosing TransCanada in your career search.