5 days left
- Full Time
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood is currently recruiting a Lead Analyst with extensive experience of working in the nuclear industry. Due to the ongoing growth of the business, Wood has an exciting opportunity for someone with a scientific or engineering background to join our growing team based in our Knutsford office. Working within our team, you will form a key part of our community supporting a wide range of exciting projects and clients across the nuclear industry; in new build and generating reactors, with possibilities to support decommissioning, defence and fusion reactor work.
In this role you will play an important role in this growing technical workstream. Mentoring will be provided to support your development of technical and professional skills throughout your career at Wood.
Role and Responsibilities:
In this role you will work on a range of consultancy projects for a variety of customers primarily in the areas of generating reactors and new build. As the AGR fleet begin life extension programmes, this area of work will present first-of-a-kind problems requiring novel solutions in order to safely optimise end of life operation . The job role will comprise a variety of activities such as:
- Performing thermal hydraulic modelling of normal operations and fault conditions for AGR and PWR scenarios
- Liaising with customers in your discipline to analyse problems and develop technical solutions
- Producing high quality technical reports on your analysis and the outcome of your work
- Checking the work of other team members
- Interacting with, and presenting results, to customers
- Interfacing with customers throughout the lifecycle of projects in your technical discipline
- Mentoring, and setting the work of junior engineers
- Recognising new business opportunities and assisting with developing these
- Supporting the development of proposals and tenders
- Promoting and adhere to the highest levels of health and safety practice
- Delivering work to agreed budgets and timescales
- Continuing to develop technical knowledge and competence in field of expertise
Skills / Qualifications
- An undergraduate degree in physics, or a related subject
- Knowledge/experience of nuclear engineering and our customers
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of modelling codes
- A good understanding of the physics of nuclear reactors and the systems at nuclear power stations would be highly beneficial.
- Experience of working in multifunctional teams
- Self-motivated, with an ability and desire to work collaboratively
- Ability to think innovatively and solve complex thermal-hydraulic problems
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing
- A higher degree, or equivalent work experience is highly desirable
- Knowledge/experience of operating in an environment with a graded approach to quality processes
- Experience of UNIX or Linux systems
- Experience of leading a small team or workstream
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance - We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As a 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.