Senior / Principal C&I Engineer
5 days left
- Full Time
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood are recruiting for Senior/Principal Control & Instrumentation Engineers to join our Nuclear business in our office in Newcastle upon Tyne. Wood's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
The Newcastle office focusses predominantly on supporting the execution of projects relating to control, monitoring and high integrity safety systems and is the centre of excellence on control systems within Wood Nuclear.
We have long term strong relationships with all major clients in the nuclear industry in the UK and we can provide opportunities to work across a variety of nuclear projects at all stages of the project life cycle. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing presence and knowledge of the nuclear industry due to a heritage of working in this market for over 50 years.
Senior and Principal EC&I Engineering posts are available to those with significant, demonstrable experience in delivering solutions to the civil nuclear, defence or other high consequence sectors. Candidates will be familiar with the requirements of working in regulated industries and with providing C&I engineering support throughout the life of high hazard facilities and their associated processes.
Scope of Work
Responsibilities will include:
- Provision of cost - effective engineering design solutions and high-quality customer service
- Ensure successful delivery of high quality engineering works to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction
- Undertake replacement of obsolete C&I systems / equipment or development of new systems, in particular control / PLC systems. This may include the specification, design, coding, testing, installation and commissioning of the systems and will need to consider the safety, integrity and reliability of the modifications
- Delivery of high integrity Safety Critical systems
- Design and testing of simulation software devices for complete project simulation
- Design, configuration, implementation and testing of SCADA systems
- Understanding of fault analysis and reliability assessments using recognised techniques such as FMEA, FTA, HAZID and HAZOP
- Engage with clients to understand technical needs and develop successful working relationships
- Verification of peer and junior engineer's C&I technical documentation
- Assist with technical input for proposals/tenders
Skills / Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience of a broad range of C&I equipment and its application in both conventional and safety related applications
- Previous work on PLCs or control systems in safety related applications
- Knowledge of PLC programming and system integration, SCADA configuration and software testing techniques and experience of installation and commissioning of PLC / SCADA systems
- Knowledge and experience of relevant guidelines, standards and practices, specifically IEC 61508 / 61513 / 61226 is desirable
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry
- Preferably educated to Degree level in a relevant engineering of scientific field, however HNC/HND considered in a mathematical, scientific or engineering discipline (or with equivalent qualifications and experience)
- Chartered engineer status with a relevant professional body (or experience necessary to qualify for such)
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance - We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.