Overview / Responsibilities
Wood's nuclear business supports customers in the energy generation, new build, decommissioning and defence sectors.
Our nuclear business has offices in Knutsford and Birchwood in Cheshire, Gloucester, Dorchester, Harwell, Glasgow, Newcastle, Bristol, Cumbria, Reading and London. We also have a strong international presence to support our growing operations in France, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, South Africa and Japan.
Our reputation for safely delivering quality projects on time and on budget is well recognised in the industries we serve. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing UK presence, strong relationships with our clients and cutting-edge processes and technologies.
What that means to you is the opportunity to experience a real variety of projects, working with people from different backgrounds. You'll work closely with our clients and committed to achieving outstanding results in a stimulating and quality-driven environment.
Wood are recruiting Control & Instrumentation Engineers to join our Nuclear business in our office in Newcastle upon Tyne.
The Newcastle office focusses predominantly on supporting the execution of projects relating to control, monitoring and high integrity safety systems and is the centre of excellence on control systems within Wood Nuclear.
We have long term strong relationships with all major clients in the nuclear industry in the UK and we can provide opportunities to work across a variety of nuclear projects at all stages of the project life cycle. We have proven expertise in managing large, complex projects, a global reach and long-standing presence and knowledge of the nuclear industry due to a heritage of working in this market for over 50 years.
We have C&I engineer roles for those interested in developing a long-term career in nuclear engineering. Candidates will ideally have some experience of EC&I engineering from another industry or an EC&I engineering degree. We will provide a tailored training and development programme to ensure you have the knowledge and experience to progress to more senior roles.
Scope of Work
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Successful execution of high quality engineering work to time, quality, budget and customer satisfaction
- Support projects that are concerned with replacement of obsolete C&I systems / equipment or development of new systems, in particular control / PLC systems
- Support the design, configuration, implementation and testing of SCADA systems
- Design and testing of simulation software devices for complete project simulation
- Input in to the safety justifications for the new or replacement C&I systems/components
- Understanding of fault analysis and reliability assessments using recognised techniques such as FMEA, FTA, HAZID and HAZOP
- Manage own engineering design and assessment work within associated project budgets
- Engage with clients in order to understand technical needs and develop successful working relationships
Skills / Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience of a range of C&I equipment and its application in both conventional and safety related applications
- Previous work on PLCs or control systems is desirable
- Knowledge of PLC programming and system integration, SCADA configuration and software testing techniques and experience of installation and commissioning of PLC / SCADA systems is desirable
- Knowledge and experience of relevant guidelines, standards and practices, specifically IEC 61508 / 61513 / 61226 is desirable
- Experience of working in a highly regulated industry
- Chartered engineer status with a relevant professional body (or experience necessary to qualify for such) or good demonstration of progression towards this standard
What do you get?
As well as exciting roles on projects in the UK and abroad; in a supportive and professional work environment, these are some of the additional benefits you can expect at Wood:
- A competitive reward package
- Work life balance - We offer flexible working; we have core and flex hours in all our permanent office locations.
- Family friendly benefits - maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- International opportunities - As an 60,000 strong community of colleagues operating in 60 counties you will have access to international career opportunities.
- For your peace of mind we offer life insurance benefit on top of a contributory pension scheme, as well as income protection and life assurance benefit.
- To support you throughout your career you will have access to an Employee Assistance programme, which can offer anything from financial advice to mental health support and counselling sessions.
For our communities:
- We give back to our communities, we have a matched funding community investment programme. In our global business our people are showing commitment and courage to care for the communities we operate in. You can do this by supporting causes and raising funds for charities that are important to you, your colleagues and your local area.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.