Area Construction Coordinator
Our client is seeking an Area Construction Coordinator for their HVdc Specialties department located in Soldiers Pond.
The Area Construction Coordinator will assist with overseeing Area construction operations on a day-to-day basis, and ensure that work is done safely, on time and within budget and to applicable quality and environmental standards. Also, to ensure that work is carried out according to approved contracts, specifications, and drawings. As a leader of the Area construction management team, the incumbent will help to lead a multi-functional team of construction coordinators, inspectors, contract administrators, field engineers, surveyors, etc. to ensure construction management objectives are fulfilled.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Working with the Contract Administrator, ensure that the contractor(s) is/are fulfilling all obligations within the relevant agreement and ensure that work is carried out according to approved contracts, specifications, drawings and schedules, within authorized budgets and in compliance with safety and environmental standards.
- Proactively identify, and work to resolve, any site issues that may impede Project delivery.
- Ensure opportunities for improvement (safety, environment, cost, schedule, and quality) are items of focus and vigorously championed.
- Monitor the implementation of the health & safety plan, site labour regulation and/or site agreement with collaboration of labour relations and health & safety.
- Participate in job safety analyses, complete safety observations and inspections (including follow up as appropriate), and regularly participate in tailboard discussions.
- Conduct risk assessment with contractors and ensure control measures are implemented for high-risk works.
- Review the planning, organization and monitoring of site use of personal, materials, and construction equipment.
- Establish and maintain proper communications and ethical business relations with representatives of the contractors, site personnel, and key stakeholders.
- Ensure consistent and accurate documentation of contractor's activities on-site including daily inspection records, site progress records, events, etc.
- Monitor the work progress in accordance with the project schedules and the terms and obligations of the construction contracts.
- Collaborate in the preparation of construction management instructions and ensure that the Area construction management team uses them to guide their activities.
- Help to ensure that the contractors are fully implementing their quality control programs.
- Manage relationship with Environmental Coordinator to ensure adherence to all environmental controls.
- Chair construction coordination meetings with the contractors to ensure performance, awareness of field objectives, and good cooperation between the project and contractors.
- Assist the Contract Administrators in the negotiation of changes, while maintaining strict adherence to Project guidelines and procedures.
- Produce Area construction progress reports and other reports as required by the Area Construction Manager.
- Help to ensure all company supplied material, equipment and services are provided in a timely fashion.
- Facilitate management of change including engineering change, query resolution, and management of necessary engineering supports for timely resolution of issues.
- Work directly with applicable Package Leader/Engineer/Manager, to resolve interface issues with engineering and procurement being carried out in project office.
- Help to manage construction interfaces between contract packages so as to ensure timely completion and avoidance of claims.
- Provide input to the contactor's execution plan and constructability reviews.
- Respond promptly to issues and requests for information from the contractors and to minimize exposure for potential claims arising from contractors.
- Foster positive working relations with both contractors and labour to ensure the broader project objectives are achieved.
- Work within the boundaries of existing labour agreements and provide input into any dispute resolutions.
- Support verification activities for contractor's payment certificates.
Diploma of Engineering Technology or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Extensive background (10+ years) in Construction management.
- Excellent and demonstrated safety and environmental record with aboriginal, diversity and cultural awareness.
- Experience in contract administration, progress verification, and claims avoidance
- Experience in high-voltage substation construction a definite asset.
- Previous experience building in northern climates / regions considered an asset
- Strong background in industrial relations, with previous track record of successfully executing works within a unionized labour environment.