Engineering Tech - South Region Testing Group
At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 150 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Works on larger jobs, small projects; routines; under the guidance of an experienced engineer / technician, on electrical power distribution equipment and associated control circuits to ensure proper electrical operation. Testing Group work is on transmission & distribution substation equipment. Distribution Testing work is on distribution equipment, generally outside substations. Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Performs well-defined testing assignments under the guidance of an experienced engineer / technician (e. g. , preventive and corrective maintenance on ATOs, regulators, network protectors, cable fault locating, generator deployments, power quality investigations).
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the current distribution system design (e. g. , analyze and interpret field data gathered from well defined field tests)
- Evaluate effectiveness of current technical systems and processes. ; Participate on teams (e. g. , works with distribution engineering and manufacturers to implement new designs)
- Participate in training (e. g. , attend ComEd, vendor and university classes; conduct training)
- Perform preventative maintenance and corrective maintenance on distribution and transmission relays, communications equipment, power reclosers etc. , using the guidelines listed in the Field Reference and the Maintenance Procedures manuals.
- Conduct basic hands-on acceptance and in-service testing of transmission and distribution equipment (e. g. , transformers, circuit breakers, control and relay panels, SCADA, power line carrier, audio tone, etc. ); Testing is performed per the guidelines included in the Field Reference Manual and the Maintenance Procedures Manuals.
- Assist with the restoration of malfunctioning transmission and distribution equipment, under emergency conditions, by performing the necessary hands-on testing as outlined in the Field Reference and Maintenance Procedures manuals.
- Complete required paperwork (reports, test data, blueprint corrections, relay settings, etc) as necessary to document work performed.
- Receive, participate, and provide some on-the-job and formal classroom training
- Successful completion of tech test
- Associates degree in a technical field (1) or equivalent relevant education / experience (See Section Below) (2) AND 2 - 5 years of relevant technical experience
- Good knowledge and experience with regulations, guides, standards, codes, methods, and practices necessary to perform assignments for a specific discipline for maintenance, testing, installation or service
- Testing Group positions require the ability to read blueprints and schematics and use basic test instruments
- Distribution Testing positions require demonstrated ability to investigate and solve power quality inquiries, capability to perform cable fault locating, ability to stage / start generators, limited knowledge on network centers and automatic throwovers
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Valid drivers license
- Requires frequent travel to various company substations or other locations within the service territory
- Must be available to work shifts and respond to emergency situations (7 days per week / 24 hours per day)
- Bachelors degree (technical field) (1)- AND zero to 3 years of relevant technical experience.
- Non-degreed or non-technical degree- equivalent relevant education (2) AND 5-7 years of relevant technical experience
- Bachelors degree in Engineering Technology
- Technical experience related to electrical power equipment.
- Electrical troubleshooting experience preferred for Distribution Testing positions
- Conduct CMs, PMs, and project installation testing activities on power equipment
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster