Senior Environment (Sustainability) Manager - Birmingham, UK
The purpose of this role is to manage and lead the sustainability design elements of the proposed HS2 Phase One railway corridor (routewide) in accordance to the organisational and sponsor requirements and policies, environmental commitments, environmental law and regulation.
- You will be expected to actively promote and embed Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in all your work, and support and comply with all organisational initiatives, policies and procedures on EDI
- Lead on the sustainability design requirements and deliverables on behalf of the Area sectors, working in close association with the HS2 Ltd Technical Directorate’s Environmental and Engineering Specialists
- Provide leadership for sustainability design solutions within area and ensure that environmental issues and constraints are key considerations in project design
- Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects and environmental specialists to achieve world class sustainability in integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions
- Review and critically appraise deliverables produced by consultants to ensure that the designs comply with the sustainability aspirations of the organisation technical and sponsor requirements, environmental commitments environmental law and regulation
- Liaise with technical stakeholders via various different forums to obtain information to inform the development of the design and to ensure the stakeholder’s environmental/sustainability requirements are understood
- Manage consultants appointed to undertake environmental design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with the Environmental Minimum Requirements and other environmental legal requirements.
- Significant experience of leading on sustainability aspects and environmental design on large or complex infrastructure/engineering projects
- Specific experience will ideally include:
- BREAAM (we are apply BREAAM Stations to our stations and we are piloting the newly created BREAAM Infrastructure on all our infrastructure scope).
- Sustainable materials
- Sustainable procurement
- Carbon management
- Climate change adaptation and resilience
- Experience in management of complex projects and financial management of projects, including procurement processes
- Proven knowledge of UK Environment legislation, and current best practice guidance
- Demonstrable project management skills and strong experience working with multidisciplinary teams on a range of projects
- A Sustainability, EIA and/or environmental management background
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental discipline
- Chartered or working towards Charted Environmentalist status
- Proven ability to manage individuals and to work across multidisciplinary teams
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues
- Strong IT skills including a good understanding of GIS, SharePoint, eB and MS Office
- Experience of preparing / reviewing material for and attending public consultations and giving evidence at public inquiries is desirable
- Educated to Master’s degree level in a relevant subject is desirable but not essential
This role is only open to applicants able to accept local employment contract conditions and not expatriate employment terms. Please note that this role is only considering applications with valid working rights for the UK, CH2M will not sponsor an employment visa to fill this position.
At CH2M, the greatest challenges provide the biggest rewards. Each day, your drive and creative ideas will be providing solutions that help build a better tomorrow. Whether it is the pride that comes with accomplishment, personal growth or making a difference in the world, you will discover true success in a career that brings out the best in you at CH2M. Ready? Let’s get to work.
Developing People through Challenging Projects. CH2M is an Equal Opportunity Employer.