Engineer II - Electrical
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
Equipment and Machines
Other Essential Functions
- Provide practical application of engineering skills to perform flight and ground system electrical engineering projects that that meet stakeholder expectations, system functional requirements and NASA program requirements.
- Support senior staff with the design of electrical Ground Support Equipment (GSE) and Ground Support Systems (GSS), AC/DC power distribution, command, control and monitoring, instrumentation, lightning protection, and grounding systems.
- Work with NASA and other contractor design teams to perform modifications to existing GSE/GSS electrical systems.
- Prepare conceptual design packages, perform feasibility studies, technical assessments, cost estimates and requirements development in support of new design projects and existing system design modifications.
- Perform developmental testing and circuit analyses to verify system design.
- Create and execute component and subsystem design verification/acceptance plans and test methods to validate performance to requirements and obtain design certification.
- Conduct system testing/validation, troubleshooting/investigating equipment failures and interpret analysis data/technical drawings/schematics to resolve anomalies and provide written corrective action.
- Must have ability to successfully interface with customer representatives and manage completion of tasks on schedule and within budget to the customer's satisfaction.
- Develop and maintain software associated with assigned systems.
- Complete projects by training and guiding technicians.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Mentor junior engineers to develop their skills and knowledge
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience in designing electrical and mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, controls systems and associated software.
- Previous Flight Hardware Sub-system engineering experience desired.
- Knowledge and experience of ground special power and distribution systems is desired.
- Experience with Allen Bradley PLC products & Rockwell Automation software is required.
- Experience with GE Fanuc, Siemens, and other PLC based systems is desirable.
- Previous system engineering certification for NASA operational systems is desirable.
- Knowledge of NASA-KSC design development processes and requirements is required.
- Knowledge of NASA software development practices and Firing room software composition and operation is desirable.
- Familiarity and practical experience with RTOS, C++, Linux, or other programming languages is desirable.
- AutoCAD / Microstation experience is required.
- ProE/Creo 3D modeling experience is a preferred qualification.
- PSpice electrical circuit analysis and ORCAD Capture electrical circuit design experience is desirable.
- Functional knowledge of Maximo, Solumina, or other similar work authorization tools is desirable.
- Ability to read blueprints, drawings, and specification charts.
- Experience with Windchill, Documentum, CMST and other CM systems is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working as a member of a formal team and able to function as such immediately
- Must be able to present information to upper management and customers.
- Must have the ability to work with minimal supervision and only general guidance.
- In-depth computer experience with Microsoft Office products, Internet browsers, and Outlook.
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all "drug free workplace" requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.